Taking some simple precautions can help keep ticks off your body during your next outdoor adventure!
- Apply insect repellent containing 20-50% DEET (as directed on the label) to your clothing and footwear
- Wear light-colored clothing and consider tucking your pants into your socks
- Walk in the center of trails to avoid overhanging brush and grass
- Examine your clothes and skin frequently for ticks (be sure to check your dogs too)
- Shower soon after you return indoors
If you should find a tick attached to your body, carefully remove it immediately.
- Use tweezers to grasp the tick near its mouth parts (as close to your skin as possible)
- Pull firmly and straight out to remove the tick
- Wash your hands and the site of the bite
- Apply antiseptic to the bite
For more information on ticks in Missouri, please visit the Department of Health and Senior Services website or contact your local health department.