Want to see Missouri State Parks from a new perspective? Join our Learn2 Climb program to learn the basics of outdoor rock climbing safety and technique from a certified instructor, and then try it out on real rock! This beginner-oriented course will allow you to enjoy nature from new heights!
This spring and fall, Missouri State Parks is offering its very first beginner-friendly introductory outdoor rock climbing program at Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park. It will be a great opportunity to try out a new activity and experience some of Missouri’s vertical attractions. We supply the equipment and the expertise; you supply the enthusiasm and an eagerness to discover nature and a new skill.
This program is made possible by the Bronco Wild Fund. The Bronco Wild Fund has a mission in supporting agencies and organizations that are devoted to the great outdoors. A part of this fund is getting people out to enjoy the outdoors respectfully and continuing the preservation of all public lands.
Learn2 Climb Program Details
Missouri State Parks Provides:
- Climbing shoes
- A good attitude and willingness to learn
- Appropriate clothing and footwear for a hike and rock climbing activities
- A packed lunch
- Enough water for the day
Things to Consider Before You Register:
- There will be a little bit more than 1 mile of hiking on boardwalk, loose-surface trail and uneven off-trail terrain. Dress accordingly with layers, athletic clothing and adequate footwear.
- Fall and spring weather can be unpredictable. Participants will be both sitting around in low activity as well as hiking and climbing. Bring layers to adequately dress for the weather and activity at hand.
- Participants must be at least 10 years of age. Children ages 10-14 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian during the entire program, although parents/guardians are not required to climb.
- There will obviously be an element of heights involved in the program. Participants should be relatively comfortable with the idea of being suspended off the ground or taking small falls on a rope.
- This event will be held in a Missouri state park, and all rules and regulations apply.
- This is a family-oriented event. Alcohol and tobacco products are not allowed while participating in the Learn2 Climb Program.
Upcoming Dates and Locations
The 2023 Learn2 Climb series has concluded. Check back later for information about the 2024 events.
The class registration is free! However, registration is required. Click on the "REGISTER HERE" link below to register. When you get to the registration website, click on the green “Show sessions available” box. A list of upcoming classes will pop up. Click on the green “Sign Up!” button to register for an event.
Registration closes five weeks after the registration open date. All slots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
If you receive an error message when registering, please email Taylor Ratcliff at Taylor.Ratcliff@dnr.mo.gov.
If a class is full, please enroll using the waitlist function. If an opening in the class becomes available, you will be notified by the Learn2 staff via email or phone call.
If you have any questions, please email Taylor.Ratcliff@dnr.mo.gov.