Want to see Missouri State Parks from a new perspective? Join our Learn2 Climb program to learn the basics of outdoor rock climbing safety and technique from a certified instructor, and then try it out on real rock! This beginner-oriented course will allow you to enjoy nature from new heights!
This spring and fall, Missouri State Parks is offering its very first beginner-friendly introductory outdoor rock climbing program at Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park. It will be a great opportunity to try out a new activity and experience some of Missouri’s vertical attractions. We supply the equipment and the expertise; you supply the enthusiasm and an eagerness to discover nature and a new skill.
This program is made possible by the Bronco Wild Fund. The Bronco Wild Fund has a mission in supporting agencies and organizations that are devoted to the great outdoors. A part of this fund is getting people out to enjoy the outdoors respectfully and continuing the preservation of all public lands.
Click here to read the news release.
Learn2 Climb Program Details
Missouri State Parks Provides:
- Climbing shoes
- A good attitude and willingness to learn
- Appropriate clothing and footwear for a hike and rock climbing activities
- A packed lunch
- Enough water for the day
Things to Consider Before You Register:
- There will be a little bit more than 1 mile of hiking on boardwalk, loose-surface trail and uneven off-trail terrain. Dress accordingly with layers, athletic clothing and adequate footwear.
- Fall and spring weather can be unpredictable. Participants will be both sitting around in low activity as well as hiking and climbing. Bring layers to adequately dress for the weather and activity at hand.
- Participants must be at least 10 years of age. Children ages 10-14 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian during the entire program, although parents/guardians are not required to climb.
- There will obviously be an element of heights involved in the program. Participants should be relatively comfortable with the idea of being suspended off the ground or taking small falls on a rope.
- This event will be held in a Missouri state park, and all rules and regulations apply.
- This is a family-oriented event. Alcohol and tobacco products are not allowed while participating in the Learn2 Climb Program.
2023 Upcoming Dates and Locations
|Date||Location||Session Time||Registration Opens||Backup Date/Times
(In Case of Weather)
|Apr 22||Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park, Middle Brook||9 a.m. to 2 p.m.||Mar 1||May 20|
|Apr 23||Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park, Middle Brook||9 a.m. to 2 p.m.||Mar 1||May 21|
|Oct 14||Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park, Middle Brook||9 a.m. to 2 p.m.||Aug 23||TBA|
|Oct 15||Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park, Middle Brook||9 a.m. to 2 p.m.||Aug 23||TBA|
|Nov 4||Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park, Middle Brook||9 a.m. to 2 p.m.||Sep 13||TBA|
|Nov 5||Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park, Middle Brook||9 a.m. to 2 p.m.||Sep 13||TBA|
The class registration is free! However, registration is required. Click on the "REGISTER HERE" link below to register. When you get to the registration website, you will need to enter the date in the "Choose Date" box. The classes that are currently open for registration will pop up. Registration closes five weeks after the registration open date. All slots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
If a class is full, please enroll using the waitlist function. If an opening in the class becomes available, you will be notified by the Learn2 staff via email or phone call.
If you have any questions, please email Taylor.Ratcliff@dnr.mo.gov.