Do you own a kayak but want to increase your paddling skills? Have you wanted to learn how to safely paddle down the river? You're in luck! Missouri State Parks' Learn2 Paddle River program can help you learn more about kayaking on the river.
The program requires preregistration but is FREE. Participants must bring their own kayaks, life jackets, paddles, lunches, sunscreen, hats and sunglasses and wear appropriate attire for getting wet.
Please do not bring foldable or inflatable kayaks for this program.
This program will include:
- In-depth discussion on river safety, plans, equipment and paddling techniques.
- River paddling skills including ferries, eddy turns and low braces.
- Reading the river and river rescues.
Things to consider before you register:
- Be physically capable of getting in and out of the boat and moving the boat unassisted.
- Be comfortable and confident around water.
- Be able to swim.
- Be able to provide a personal kayak, a paddle and a Coast Guard-approved life jacket.
- Have previous kayak paddling experience.
- Participants should wear appropriate swimwear and footwear, as they will get wet. We recommend closed-toe shoes that you don’t mind getting wet and that have a back (ex. old tennis shoes or water shoes)
- Participants must be at least 12 years of age. Children ages 12-16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- This event will be held in a Missouri state park, and all rules and regulations apply.
- This is a family-oriented event. Alcohol and tobacco products are not allowed while participating in this program.
- Participants must bring their own kayak, paddle and life jacket.
- Missouri State Parks will bring extra paddles and life jackets (in case anyone has an ill-fitting item or wants to try a different style).
- Missouri State Parks will attempt to have various kayaks for our instructors to show the variety of options.
Upcoming Dates and Locations
The 2023 Learn2 Paddle River series has concluded. Check back later for information about the 2024 events.
The class registration is free! However, registration is required. Click on the "REGISTER HERE" link below to register. When you get to the registration website, click on the green “Show sessions available” box. A list of upcoming classes will pop up. Click on the green “Sign Up!” button to register for an event.
Registration closes five weeks after the registration open date. All slots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
If a class is full, please enroll using the waitlist function. If an opening in the class becomes available, you will be notified by the Learn2 staff via email or phone call.
If you have any questions, please email Taylor.Ratcliff@dnr.mo.gov.