Have you ever wanted to try kayaking but didn't know where to begin? Do you want to get out on the water but don't have your own kayak? You're in luck! Missouri State Parks is offering to teach you how to paddle and have a safe and enjoyable time on the water.
This summer, staff will be offering kayaking instruction at select Missouri state parks. This will be a great opportunity to try something new and experience some of Missouri's lakes. We supply the equipment and the expertise; you supply the enthusiasm and an eagerness to discover nature and a new skill.
Learn2 Paddle Program Details
Missouri State Parks Provides:
- Life jackets
- A good attitude and willingness to learn
- Appropriate swimwear and footwear
Things to Consider Before You Register
- State Parks recommends that the safest option is for you to bring your own life jacket for this program; however, there will be life jackets provided if you need to borrow one to participate.
- Please wear appropriate swimwear and footwear, as you may get wet. We recommend close-toed shoes you don’t mind getting wet and that have a back (eg., old tennis shoes or water shoes).
- Participants must be at least 10 years of age. Children ages 10-14 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian during the entire program.
- Participants should be comfortable around water.
- This event will be held in a Missouri state park and all rules and regulations apply.
- This is a family-oriented event. Alcohol and tobacco products are not allowed while participating in the Learn2 Paddle Program.
Click here to read the news release.
2023 Upcoming Dates and Locations
|Date||Location||Session Time||Registration Opens|
|May 6||Finger Lakes State Park, Columbia||9-11 a.m.||Mar 24|
|May 7||Ha Ha Tonka State Park, Camdenton||10 a.m. to noon||Mar 26|
|May 7||Ha Ha Tonka State Park, Camdenton||1-3 p.m.||Mar 26|
|Jun 3||Wakonda State Park, La Grange||7:30-9:30 p.m.||Apr 21|
|Jun 6||Knob Noster State Park, Knob Noster||1-3 p.m.||Apr 25|
|Jun 7||St. Joe State Park, Park Hills||5-7:30 p.m.||Apr 26|
|Jun 8||St. Joe State Park, Park Hills||9:30 to noon||Apr 27|
|Jun 8||St. Joe State Park, Park Hills||1:30-4 p.m.||Apr 27|
|Jun 10||Finger Lakes State Park, Columbia||9-11 a.m.||Apr 28|
|Jun 10||Finger Lakes State Park, Columbia||2-4 p.m.||Apr 28|
|Jun 17||Wakonda State Park, La Grange||10 a.m. to noon||May 5|
|Jun 23||Ha Ha Tonka State Park, Camdenton||10 a.m. to noon||May 12|
|Jun 23||Ha Ha Tonka State Park, Camdenton||1-3 p.m.||May 12|
|Jul 8||Annie and Abel Van Meter State Park, Miami||10 a.m. to noon||May 26|
|Jul 8||Annie and Abel Van Meter State Park, Miami||1-3 p.m.||May 26|
|Jul 11||Knob Noster State Park, Knob Noster||1-3 p.m.||May 30|
|Jul 13||Finger Lakes State Park, Columbia||6-8 p.m.||Jun 1|
|Jul 15||Wakonda State Park, La Grange||10 a.m. to noon||Jun 2|
|Jul 15||Stockton State Park, Dadeville||10 a.m. to noon||Jun 2|
|Jul 29||Finger Lakes State Park, Columbia||9-11 a.m.||Jun 16|
|Jul 30||Finger Lakes State Park, Columbia||2-4 p.m.||Jun 19|
|Aug 12||Crowder State Park, Trenton||10 a.m. to noon||Jun 30|
|Aug 12||Crowder State Park, Trenton||1-3 p.m.||Jun 30|
|Aug 12||Wakonda State Park, La Grange||10 a.m. to noon||Jun 30|
|Aug 26||Thousand Hills State Park, Kirksville||10 a.m. to noon||Jul 15|
|Aug 26||Thousand Hills State Park, Kirksville||1-3 p.m.||Jul 15|
The class registration fee is $5 per participant; registration is required. Click on the "REGISTER HERE" link below to register. When you get to the registration website, you will need to enter the date in the "Choose Date" box. The classes that are currently open for registration will pop up. Registration closes five weeks after the registration open date. All slots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
If a class is full, please enroll using the waitlist function. If an opening in the class becomes available, you will be notified by the Learn2 staff via email or phone call.
If you have any questions, please email Taylor.Ratcliff@dnr.mo.gov.
Check out the *ADVANCED* Learn2 Paddle program.