Do you own a kayak but want to increase your paddling skills? Do you want to learn more about being safe and having fun on the water? You’re in luck! Missouri State Parks is offering a program to help you learn more about kayaking. You’ll learn beyond the basics in our Advanced Learn2 Paddle program.
This summer, certified instructors will offer this program at Long Branch State Park. The program requires preregistration but is FREE. Participants are required to bring their own kayaks, life jackets and paddles and wear appropriate attire for getting wet.
This three-hour program will include:
- In-depth discussion on safety, equipment and paddling techniques.
- More complex paddle strokes, wet exits and water rescues.
- Certified instructor feedback on techniques and tips to enhance your abilities.
Things to consider before you register:
- Participants are required to provide their own kayaks, life jackets and paddles.
- Participants should wear appropriate swimwear and footwear, as they will get wet. We recommend closed-toe shoes that you don’t mind getting wet and that have a back (ex. old tennis shoes or water shoes).
- Participants must be at least 10 years of age. Children ages 10-14 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian during the entire program.
- This event will be held in a Missouri state park, and all rules and regulations apply.
- This is a family-oriented event. Alcohol and tobacco products are not allowed while participating in the Learn2 Paddle Program.
- Participants must bring their own kayak, paddle and personal flotation device (PFD).
- Missouri State Parks will bring extra paddles and PFDs (in case anyone has an ill-fitting item or wants to try a different style).
- Missouri State Parks will attempt to have various kayaks for our instructors to show the variety of options.
Advanced Learn2 Paddle Sessions
Check back later for information about the 2024 sessions.
The class registration is free! However, registration is required. Click on the "REGISTER HERE" link below to register. When you get to the registration website, click on the green “Show sessions available” box. A list of upcoming classes will pop up. Click on the green “Sign Up!” button to register for an event.
Registration closes five weeks after the registration open date. All slots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
If a class is full, please enroll using the waitlist function. If an opening in the class becomes available, you will be notified by the Learn2 staff via email or phone call.
If you have any questions, please email Taylor.Ratcliff@dnr.mo.gov.