Do you own a kayak, but want to increase your paddling skills? Do you want to learn more about being safe and having fun on the water? You’re in luck! Missouri State Parks is offering a NEW program to help you learn more about kayaking. You’ll learn beyond the basics in our Advanced Learn2 Paddle program.
This summer, certified instructors will offer this new program at Thousand Hills State Park. The program requires pre-registration but is FREE. Participants are required to bring their own kayaks, life jackets and paddles and wear appropriate attire for getting wet.
This NEW three-hour program will include:
- In-depth discussion on safety, equipment and paddling techniques.
- More complex paddle strokes, wet exits and water rescues.
- Certified instructor feedback on techniques and tips to enhance your abilities.
Things to consider before you register:
- Participants are required to provide their own kayaks, life jackets and paddles.
- Participants should wear appropriate swimwear and footwear, as you will get wet. We recommend close-toed shoes that you don’t mind getting wet and that have a back (ex. old tennis shoes or water shoes).
- Participants must be at least 10 years of age. Children ages 10-14 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian during the entire program.
- This event will be held in a Missouri state park and all rules and regulations apply.
- This is a family-oriented event. Alcohol and tobacco products are not allowed while participating in the Learn2 Paddle Program.
Advanced Learn2 Paddle Sessions
One session will be offered in 2022:
Saturday, Aug. 27, 2022, at Thousand Hills State Park
Session time: 9 a.m. to noon
Registration is required, but the class is FREE! Click on the “REGISTER HERE” link below to register. When you get to the registration website, you will need to enter “Advanced Learn2” in the “Search Text” box. When the class is open for registration there will be a “sign up” button that will pop up. All slots will be filled on a first-come, first served basis, registration will open on Sunday, July 10, 2022.
If a class is full, please enroll using the waitlist function. If an opening in the class becomes available, you will be notified by the Learn2 staff via email or phone call.
- Participants must bring their own kayak, paddle and personal flotation device (PFD).
- Missouri State Parks will bring extra paddles and PFDs (in case anyone has an ill-fitting item or wants to try a different style).
- Missouri State Parks will attempt to have various kayaks for our instructors to show the variety of options.