The National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 authorizes a program of federal matching grants, known as the Historic Preservation Fund (HPF) to assist various states in carrying out historic preservation activities. The program is sponsored by the Department of the Interior, the National Park Service (NPS), and in Missouri, is administered through the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources. Under changes made to the act in 1980, each state is required to earmark a minimum of ten percent (10%) of their Historic Preservation Fund monies for exclusive use by Certified Local Governments (CLGs). In previous grant cycles, the Department awarded approximately $200,000 in grants.
Certified Local Governments, all county governmental entities, municipalities, and qualified nonprofit organizations with a historic preservation mission are eligible to apply for this round of Historic Preservation Fund Grants.
HPF grants fund projects that relate directly to the identification, evaluation, or protection of historic properties, for example, architectural or archaeological resources listed or eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
Pre-applications are due before 5 p.m. on Sept. 30, 2021. The pre-application will be evaluated no later than Oct. 15, 2021, and the final application will be due on Nov. 1, 2021. Only entities that provided a pre-application will be eligible to submit a final application.
- National Register and Survey Grant Application and Instructions
- Planning and Outreach Grant Application and Instructions
- Predevelopment (Preconstruction) Grant Application and Instructions
The Department of Natural Resources is now using an online Funding Opportunities Portal to receive, award and manage grants. This system provides for entities applying for funding to submit their application, track the status of the award, and to submit invoices and reports electronically. Project sponsors will need to request access to the system so they may submit the grant application in the portal. If the entity is unable to obtain access to the portal, please see the application instructions for guidance on alternative submission methods.
To request access to the system:
- Go to the Department’s Funding Opportunities Portal.
- Under New User, click the “Click Here” link to request an account.
- Complete and submit the Funding Opportunity Portal Access Request form.
- Check Historic Preservation at the bottom of the form, in the section used to indicate the program(s) in which the project sponsor is interested in applying for financial assistance. Project sponsors may select other options in addition to Historic Preservation. This form may take 24 to 48 hours to process. Once processed, the project sponsor will receive an email with their logon credentials.
Final applications will be scored based on the proposed project's contribution to Missouri's statewide preservation goals as noted in the Missouri Statewide Preservation Plan and the technical quality of the application.
For more information or assistance with historic preservation fund grants, please contact our office via email or by calling 573-751-7958.