Recreational Trail Program Grants
In Missouri, RTP grants are open to local and state governments, school districts and nonprofit organizations. Missouri receives between $1 and $1.5 million per fiscal year. The maximum amount awarded is $250,000 for trail projects. Sponsors must have a minimum 20% match. Projects must be open to the public.
Eligible Projects include:
- Restoration of existing recreational trails.
- Development and rehabilitation of trailside and trailhead facilities and trail linkages for recreational trails.
- Construction of new recreational trails (with restrictions for new trails on Federal lands).
- Acquisition of easements and property for recreational trails or recreational trail corridors.
- Assessment of trail conditions for accessibility and maintenance.
Grant selection process
The application period for 2023 RTP Grant is now OPEN. Review the Open Project Selection Process before filling out an application. Then complete an electronic application by answering each question as fully as possible without exceeding the space allocated for the question. Hand-written applications will not be accepted. A draft application may be emailed to email@example.com by Jan. 27, 2023, for a courtesy review by the Grants Management staff. For the final application packet, mail two hard copies of the application plus all supporting documents listed in the application. Application packets must be postmarked on or before Feb. 23, 2023. Mail application packets to: Missouri State Parks, Grants Management, P.O. Box 176, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0176 or 1659 E. Elm Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101.
Grant Application Workshops:
The 2023 RTP Application Workshop has been recorded and be accessed by clicking here.
Past Administration Guides
Past Grant Recipients
Sign requirements include posting a sign near your trail project entrance. Signs can be ordered by calling Missouri Vocational Enterprises at 573-751-6663 or 800-392-8486.