In Missouri, RTP grants are open to local and state governments, school districts, non-profit and for-profit organizations. Missouri receives between $1 and $1.5 million per fiscal year. The maximum amount awarded is $150,000 for trail projects and $10,000 for educational projects. Sponsors must have a minimum 20 percent match. Projects must be open to the public.
Eligible Projects include:
- Restoration of existing recreational trails.
- Development and rehabilitation of trailside and trailhead facilities and trail linkages for recreational trails.
- Purchase or lease of recreational trail construction and maintenance equipment.
- Construction of new recreational trails (with restrictions for new trails on Federal lands).
- Acquisition of easements and property for recreational trails or recreational trail corridors.
- Assessment of trail conditions for accessibility and maintenance.
- Educational projects that promote trail safety and protection.
Grant selection process
To be considered for a RTP grant, applicants must fill out an application and submit it by the deadline listed. To assist with the process, an application guide has been provided that explains the requirements of the application. Additionally, applicants are encouraged to attend a RTP application workshop. To fill out the electronic application, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is available for free download at https://get.adobe.com/reader/.
After applications are received, they are reviewed and scored by the Missouri Trail Advisory Board. Recommended projects are sent to the Federal Highway Administration for final approval.
Past Grant Recipients
Sign requirements include posting a sign near your trail project entrance. Signs can be ordered by calling Missouri Vocational Enterprises at 573-451-6663 or 800-392-8486.
- More information about the Recreational Trails Program from the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration
- ADA Guidelines