Recreational Trail Program Grants
In Missouri, RTP grants are open to local and state governments, school districts, nonprofit and for-profit organizations. Missouri receives between $1 and $1.5 million per fiscal year. The maximum amount awarded is $250,000 for trail projects. Sponsors must have a minimum 20% match. Projects must be open to the public.
Eligible Projects include:
- Restoration of existing recreational trails.
- Development and rehabilitation of trailside and trailhead facilities and trail linkages for recreational trails.
- Construction of new recreational trails (with restrictions for new trails on Federal lands).
- Acquisition of easements and property for recreational trails or recreational trail corridors.
- Assessment of trail conditions for accessibility and maintenance.
Grant selection process
The application period for 2021 RTP Grants is now closed. The 2022 RTP Grant Round will open in late fall. Check back in late fall for the 2022 RTP Open Project Selection Process and Project Application and the date the application are due. After applications are received, they are reviewed and scored by the Missouri Trail Advisory Board. Recommended projects are sent to the Federal Highway Administration for final approval.
Grant Application Workshops:
The RTP Application Workshop will be scheduled after the 2022 RTP Grant round is open. Check back in late fall for date and time of the workshop.
Past Administration Guides
Past Grant Recipients
Sign requirements include posting a sign near your trail project entrance. Signs can be ordered by calling Missouri Vocational Enterprises at 573-751-6663 or 800-392-8486.