Recreational Trail Program Grants
In Missouri, RTP grants are open to local and state governments, school districts, non-profit and for-profit organizations. Missouri receives between $1 and $1.5 million per fiscal year. The maximum amount awarded is $250,000 for trail projects. Sponsors must have a minimum 20% match. Projects must be open to the public.
Eligible Projects include:
- Restoration of existing recreational trails.
- Development and rehabilitation of trailside and trailhead facilities and trail linkages for recreational trails.
- Construction of new recreational trails (with restrictions for new trails on Federal lands).
- Acquisition of easements and property for recreational trails or recreational trail corridors.
- Assessment of trail conditions for accessibility and maintenance.
Grant selection process
The application period for 2021 RTP Grants is now OPEN. Review the Open Project Selection Process before filling out an application. Then complete an electronic application by answering each question as fully as possible without exceeding the space allocated for the question. Hand-written applications will not be accepted. A draft application may be sent to Grants Management Section staff by Jan. 31, 2021, for a courtesy review. Mail two copies of the application plus all supporting documents in the application packets. Application packets must be postmarked on or before Feb. 17, 2021. Mail application packets to: Missouri State Parks, Grants Management, P.O. Box 176, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0176. After applications are received, they are reviewed and scored by the Missouri Trail Advisory Board. Recommended projects are sent to the Federal Highway Administration for final approval.
Grant Application Workshops:
The RTP Application Workshop will be Thursday, Jan. 7, 2021, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. The workshop will be an Adobe Connect Virtual Webinar. To register for the workshop, please email your name, phone number and sponsor’s name to email@example.com.
Past Administration Guides
Past Grant Recipients
Sign requirements include posting a sign near your trail project entrance. Signs can be ordered by calling Missouri Vocational Enterprises at 573-451-6663 or 800-392-8486.
- More information about the Recreational Trails Program from the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration
- ADA Guidelines