ORV Rules and Regulations
- A permit is not required for entrance to the park. It is required only for off-road vehicles (ORVs) in the ORV area. Please attach the permit to your ORV or have it in your possession before entering the ORV area.
- Operators and passengers of motorized vehicles must wear protective helmets that meet Department of Transportation (DOT) or ANSI Z90.1 certification. This includes all operators and passengers riding motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs and dune buggies. The only exceptions are vehicles with fully enclosed metal cabs, such as pickup trucks and SUVs.
- Motorized vehicles must be equipped with functioning brakes and muffler, with noise limit not to exceed 96dBA. Motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) must be equipped with a spark arrestor.
- Motorized vehicles, except motorcycles, must be equipped with a flexible mast - minimum 72 inches in length with an orange flag measuring at least 72 square inches displayed at the top of the mast.
- Passengers are not allowed on motorcycles or ATVs unless the manufacturer has designed the vehicle for more than one person. Passengers are not allowed in cargo areas.
- Operators under 16 years of age and unlicensed operators must have direct supervision by a licensed adult while operating motorcycles, UTVs and ATVs. Manufacturers age labeling applies to all vehicles.
- Operation of an ORV while using or under the influence of alcohol or drugs is prohibited. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited in the ORV area.
- Motorized vehicles, except motorcycles and ATVs, must be equipped with seat belts for each occupant, and these must be fastened while the vehicle is in motion.
- The speed limit in the staging area and parking lot is five miles per hour. No exhibition driving is allowed in these areas.
- Dune buggies and four-wheel drive vehicles are permitted only in the tailings area, not on the wooded trails.
- Any violation of any of these rules and regulations may result in the revocation of the permit.
- The ORV area is subject to topographic changes. Be alert for inclines, changing slopes and sudden drop offs. Operate your vehicle at a safe and prudent speed at all times.
- Special vegetative management areas are located throughout the ORV riding area that require vegetative regrowth in order to reduce or stop erosion. Riding on large grass-covered areas on the "flats" and extremely steep, eroded trails in the wooded areas kills the grass and jeopardizes the tailings' stability. Some areas are identified by an 8-inch red octagonal sign. The project is ongoing and some areas have not yet been identified. We need your help in order to maintain these areas. If the above description fits a location, please do not ride there. Noncompliance is punishable.
- The ORV boundary is identified by red and white signs. Riding outside the boundary, which has been established to maintain a buffer and minimize impact on adjacent landowners, is prohibited.
Because of the safety requirements and for the visitors' convenience, the park sells Department of Transportation-approved helmets, six-foot staffed orange flags and flag parts. Safety items can be purchased elsewhere, but must comply with the stated regulations.
Park Rules and Regulations
- Beach: No cans, glass bottles, coolers or pets are allowed.
- Fishing: State fishing regulations apply. Permit must be obtained for Apollo and Jo Lee lakes. Electric motors only.
- Camping: Detailed information is available at park office and posted on bulletin boards.
- Playground: Small children must be supervised at all times.
- Alcoholic beverages are not permitted in the ORV area, beaches, Pim Day-Use Area or parking lots.
Detailed rules and regulations are posted throughout the park.