Montauk State Park’s premier attraction is trout fishing, and the Current River contains both rainbow and brown trout. The pristine waters and natural surroundings of the Current River are an excellent background for trout fishing. Trout season opens March 1 and lasts until Oct. 31. In between, there is a catch-and-release program for year-round angling fun at the park. License and daily trout tags are required and can be purchased from the state park concessionaire. A fish cleaning station is available for anglers to clean their trout.
The Fishing Permits, Seasons and Regulations and Fishing Report links are provided by the Missouri Department of Conservation. On the Fishing Report, the Current River is listed under Trout Areas and Ozark Region: Rivers.
Trout Fishing Areas
Montauk has three fishing areas.
Catch-and-Release Only Area
In waters designated catch-and-release, trout may not be possessed. All trout must be returned unharmed immediately. Only flies may be used.
Fly Fishing Only Area
In waters designated fly fishing only, a fly shall be constructed on a single point hook of feathers, tinsel, chenille, yarn, fur, silk, rayon or nylon thread or floss, with or without a spinner.
Artificial Lures and Natural Bait Area
In waters designated artificial lures and natural bait, any bait, including lures, natural bait or flies may be used.
These areas are marked in the park and maps are also available.
Five accessible fishing sites are located throughout the fishing stream, ensuring that all anglers have a chance to catch a lunker trout.
Trout Fishing Hours
|Beginning Time||Ending Time|
|March||6:30 a.m.*/7:30 a.m.**||6 p.m.*/7 p.m.**|
|April||7 a.m.||7:30 p.m.|
|May||6:30 a.m.||8:15 p.m.|
|June and July||6:30 a.m.||8:30 p.m.|
|August||7 a.m.||8 p.m.|
|September||7:30 a.m.||7:15 p.m.|
|October||7:30 a.m.||6:30 p.m.|
* Central Standard Time
** Central Daylight Time
|Catch-and-Release Season||Beginning Time||Ending Time|
|2nd Friday in Nov. through the 2nd Monday in February
(Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday only)
|8 a.m.||4 p.m.|
- Trout fishing is permitted in accordance with the state wildlife code and posted restrictions daily from March 1 through Oct. 31, and during the winter catch-and-release season from the second Friday in November to the second Monday in February on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday only.
- Each angler shall display a daily trout tag purchased in the area and bearing his or her signature.
- Each angler shall have a state fishing permit except those 15 years and younger or Missouri residents 65 years and older.
- Each angler shall keep their trout separate at all times and identified with their name and address.
- The daily limit is four, possession limit eight trout.
- Only a single pole or rod may be used. Gigging, snaring or snagging is not permitted.
- The use of game fish or parts thereof for bait is prohibited; chumming is not permitted.
- No trout may be possessed in the catch-and-release area.