DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES
DIVISION OF STATE PARKS
St. Francois State Park
Rappelling and Rock Climbing Permit Requirements
- Rappelling and rock climbing is permitted only in the designated area along Big River southwest of the picnic area (ball diamond) northeast of U.S. Highway 67 behind the Park Office.
- Rappelling and rock climbing are allowed by Permit. This Permit must be in your possession while rappelling or rock climbing and is valid until sunset on the date the Permit is issued for.
- No more than 15 (fifteen) permits will be issued for any given date.
- Solo rappelling and rock climbing are prohibited at all times.
- Pitons, bolts and/or any other protection or anchoring devices which may damage or disfigure park resources are prohibited.
- 2 (two) healthy trees at least 6 (six) inches in diameter or solid immovable rock faces are the minimum required for anchor points.
- Double carabineers should be used on running belays from top anchors. Top rope belays must be seated and anchored.
- Helmets with chin straps must be worn at all times while rappelling and rock climbing, or while within 20 (twenty) feet of the cliff. Anyone within 5 (five) feet of the cliff edge must be on belay.
- Unsupervised hanging ropes or other equipment are not permitted and are subject to confiscation.
- Failure to abide by permit requirements will result in the loss of rappelling and rock climbing privileges. By typing my name below I acknowledge I have read the above and agree to abide by the above rules, and the laws and regulations that may apply to this activity at a Missouri State Park. I understand that failure to abide by permit requirements will result in the loss of rappelling and rock climbing privileges and may result in eviction from the Park.
All persons 18 (eighteen) years of age and older must read and sign this permit in order to rappel or rock climb in St. Francois State Park. Any person under the age of 18 (eighteen) must have the signature of their parent or legal guardian.
I, (person named below)), am fully aware of all requirements of this permit and will comply with the requirements completely. I am fully aware that rappelling and rock climbing can result in serious injury or death and undertake this activity at my own risk. I assume full responsibility and full liability for acquainting myself with all potential dangers, and agree to abide by all safety rules and standards for rappelling and rock climbing activities. Consequently, I do hereby, for myself, my heirs, estate, survivors or assigns, forever release the State of Missouri, its agencies, and all of its employees of any responsibility or any liability as a result of my activities associated with rappelling or rock climbing. I further promise to bind myself, my heirs, estate, survivors or assigns, to indemnify the Missouri Department of Natural Resources for any rewards resulting from any lawsuits filed as a result of these activities. The entire amount rewarded plus reimbursement for all cost which the Missouri Department of Natural Resources may incur from such lawsuits will be included in the indemnification.
Parents or legal guardians signing for minors agree to repay to the Missouri Department of Natural Resources any judgement obtained by the minor plus reimbursement for all costs which the Missouri Department of Natural Resources may incur from the lawsuit.