This symbol indicates that the specified area is fully compliant with Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines (ADAAG).
A level, paved parking lot provides three accessible spaces with nearby access to a railed ramp leading to the building entrance. Just inside is an accessible water fountain and restrooms with front-transfer toilets and accessible lavatories. The staffed information desk offers books, postcards and mementos. Park and area information are within easy reach on a nearby brochure rack. The excellent museum offers freestanding and glassed-in exhibits, many interactive. A park video is available for all visitors to enjoy. Various interpretative programs are held from Memorial Day to Labor Day, with additional programs done by appointment. For those with special needs, please contact the office in advance and they’ll be happy to accommodate you.
The amphitheater is located just behind the visitor center with boardwalk seating for wheelchairs.
A level, paved accessible parking space is located adjacent to the concrete pathway that leads to the memorial. An interpretive panel and a shady sitting area are provided.
Paved parking has a slight slope. A concrete pathway leads to a vault toilet that has not been modified for accessibility. The shelter is approached over natural grass turf and provides a group grill and seating for 40 people. Several unmodified picnic sites are also in this area.
Located adjacent to the lower campground, this shelter provides a gravel parking space adjacent to a paved access aisle and pathway. The path, in one direction, leads past a water fountain to the shelter, which has two group grills, extended-end tables, electric service, lighting and accommodates 100 people. Going the other direction on the path takes you past the playground. The closest accessible restroom is the vault toilet in the Mississippi River campground.
Also connected to the pathway is an accessible picnic site, which has an extended-end table and a pedestal grill. Parking is located in a roadside lot, where one accessible space, with a slight slope, is available.
Hill Road Picnic Site
A gravel lot overlooks the Mississippi River. A concrete pad and accessible table with pedestal grill is available.
The overlook provides a level, paved parking lot with RV parking and two accessible parking spaces. A railed pathway leads down to the overlook, which provides a view of the towering bluffs along the Mississippi River and a view across the river into Illinois. The overlook has four glass viewing panels for wheelchair access.
Mississippi River Campground
- This campground has one accessible electric site, which offers an extended-end table, pedestal grill, fire ring and lantern post. An accessible water hydrant and water fountain are conveniently located.
- The showerhouse provides a paved pathway from the parking lot with one accessible space. Inside, you’ll find a roll-in push-button shower and an accessible lavatory for each gender. Electric hand dryers are also provided. A shower chair is available upon request.
- The dump station is barrier-free; the fresh water hydrant has a pump-style handle.
- An accessible vault toilet is located near the entrance of the campground, where you’ll also find a drive-up information board.
Lake Boutin Campground
- No campsites or vault toilets have been modified in this area. The showerhouse is approached over a 6% sloped gravel path and provides front-transfer toilets, lowered mirrors and lavatories. The lavatory handles may be difficult for some users. The push-button showers contain a grab bar. A shower chair is available upon request.
- The dump station is barrier-free; the fresh water hydrant has a round handle.
A boat ramp for the Mississippi River has level gravel parking and a concrete ramp with a 7% slope. No other amenities are provided. This is located near the Mississippi River Campground entrance.
Lake Boutin Area
There is a designated swimming area with a sand beach. The parking lot is paved and an accessible sidewalk provides access to the beach. An accessible water fountain and rinse station (with a push button) is located along the sidewalk. An accessible vault toilet with side transfer is in the parking lot.
Parking for the boat ramp is paved but steep, with a 6.2% average slope. The one-lane boat ramp is paved with an average slope of 8.9%.
A shady picnic site overlooking the lake provides a parking space, a paved area, group and pedestal grills, an accessible table and a water fountain.
This is a mostly level hilltop with 1-inch gravel and provides fire rings, lantern posts, tables, benches and a vault toilet allowing side-transfers.
For more information, contact the park:
Trail of Tears State Park
429 Moccasin Springs
Jackson, MO 63755-8295
Last updated: January 2017