3/19/2022 to 3/20/2022 | Arrow Rock State Historic Site | Arrow Rock, MO
The 31st annual War of 1812 in the West Symposium will be held March 19 and 20, 2022, at Arrow Rock State Historic Site in Arrow Rock, Missouri. Sponsored by the Missouri Department of Natural Resources and the 1st U. States Infantry Regiment Living History Organization, the event will be held in the historic site visitor center. The symposium will be open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday and 9 a.m. to noon on Sunday. It is free and open to the public.
Missouri was the scene of some of the westernmost actions of what was then termed "America's Second War for Independence." Presentations by noted historians will cover military activities and territorial development in Missouri and the western territories as well as national events. Topics presented at this event will include:
- "A Treatise on the Mode & Manner of Indian Warfare: Native Tactics in the War of 1812" by Larry Nelson.
- "War Within War: The Creek War and the Battle of Horseshoe Bend" by Myers Brown.
- "The Sac and Fox Nation During the War of 1812" by Michael Dickey.
- "On That Mournful Day, Long to be Remembered by Me; Fort Dearborn 1812" by Sally Bennett.
- "The Peoria Indian War of 1813" by David Bennett.
- "Saddles, Equipment and Horses in Early Missouri" by Bill Jordan.
- "Defending New York City, 1812-1815" by Richard Barbuto.
- "Final Shots of the Missouri Rangers: The Battle of the Sinkhole 1815" by Michael Harris.
Artifacts from the War of 1812 era will also be on display during the symposium. The Arrow Rock State Historic Site visitor center is located at 39521 Visitor Center Drive in Arrow Rock.
- Saturday: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Sunday: 9 a.m. to noon
- Interpretive Programs