DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES
DIVISION OF STATE PARKS
Meramec State Park
Rappelling Permit Requirements
- Rappelling is permitted only on the portion of Green’s Bluff that overhangs Green’s Cave and at the Miller Hollow Quarry.
- Rappelling is allowed by permit. This permit must be in your possession while rappelling and is only valid for the day you are scheduled to rappel.
- A maximum of 30 permits per day and a maximum of 120 permits a week will be issued for each area.
- Solo rappelling is prohibited at all times.
- Unsupervised hanging ropes are not permitted and may be confiscated.
- 2 (two) healthy trees 6 (six) inches in diameter are the minimum size allowed for tree anchors.
- Top rope belays must be anchored.
- Double carabineers should be used on running belays form top anchors.
- Helmets with chin straps must be worn at all times while rappelling and at all times within 20 (twenty) feet of the cliff base.
- Anyone within 5 (five) feet of the cliff edge must be on belay.
- Brake hand must be gloved on rappels and belays.
- Cliff top belay must be seated and anchored.
- Each group must have a deader 18 or older possessing a current rappelling instructor certification card from an organization with liability insurance for certifying rappelling instructors.
- All rappelling equipment must be U.I.A.A. (Union Internationale des Association d’Alpinisme) approved.
- Rock climbing is prohibited.
All persons 18 (eighteen) years of age and older must read and sign this permit in order to rappel in Meramec State Park. Any person under the age of 18 (eighteen) must have the signature of their parent or legal guardian.
I, (person named below)), am fully aware of all requirements of this permit and will comply with the requirements completely. I am fully aware that rappelling and rock climbing can result in serious injury or death and undertake this activity at my own risk. I assume full responsibility and full liability for acquainting myself with all potential dangers, and agree to abide by all safety rules and standards for rappelling and rock climbing activities. Consequently, I do hereby, for myself, my heirs, estate, survivors or assigns, forever release the State of Missouri, its agencies, and all of its employees of any responsibility or any liability as a result of my activities associated with rappelling or rock climbing. I further promise to bind myself, my heirs, estate, survivors or assigns, to indemnify the Missouri Department of Natural Resources for any rewards resulting from any lawsuits filed as a result of these activities. The entire amount rewarded plus reimbursement for all cost which the Missouri Department of Natural Resources may incur from such lawsuits will be included in the indemnification.
Parents or legal guardians signing for minors agree to repay to the Missouri Department of Natural Resources any judgement obtained by the minor plus reimbursement for all costs which the Missouri Department of Natural Resources may incur from the lawsuit.