9/28/2019 | Battle of Pilot Knob State Historic Site | Pilot Knob, MO
Learn what happened after the Battle of Pilot Knob and about the subsequent escape of the Union Forces. The retreat from the fort has been of interest for a long time and in 1995, a map was developed for people interested in learning more. This map is available at the historic site.
At this event, you can follow interpreters along the route taken by the retreating union forces learning about the retreat and several points of interest along the way.
The tour will stop at interpretation points on the way to Leasburg, then will stop for lunch in Sullivan and will return to the historic site via Highway 185, stopping in Potosi to interpret Gen. Shelby’s activities in Potosi, which were happening at the same time as the battle in Pilot Knob.
Each party will follow the lead car in procession as we move from each stop.
Timeline of Event
- 8:30 a.m. - Meet at the historic site to get organized and maps and/or van assignments
- 9 a.m. - Leave the historic site
- 9:20 a.m. - Stop at the Caledonia city fair grounds for information on the interaction of Shelby’s Calvary and Ewing’s command
- 10 a.m. - Arrive at the Palmer church and spring, Learn about the massacre of six militia men left at the town. Proceed to Palmer Cemetery to visit Civil War veteran graves.
- 10:30 a.m. - Proceed to Huzzah Valley Conservation area to learn about the retreat up the huzzah valley into the town of Leasburg.
- 11:30 a.m. - Arrive at MDC Huzzah Conservation area stop at Shooting Range parking lot to interpret the Proceed to Leasburg
- Noon - Arrive at Leasburg to learn about the battle and relief for Union forces arriving from Rolla.
- 1 p.m. - 2 p.m. - Stop in Sullivan to eat lunch.
- 2:40 p.m. - Arrive at Potosi and learn about the activities of Gen. Shelby in Potosi as the battle was going on in Pilot Knob.
- 3:30 p.m. - Arrive back at the historic site.
Event Time: 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Interpretive Programs