REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED. APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED BY THURSDAY, MAY 15.
Have you ever wanted to explore the great outdoors but didn’t know where to begin? Does your family want to make s’mores over a campfire and sleep under the stars? You’re in luck! Missouri State Parks is teaming up with The North Face's Explore Your Parks Program to teach families to learn to camp.
This June, 32 families will have a helping hand as they learn the joys of camping in a Missouri state park. In 500 words or less, tell us why your family wants to learn to camp and you could be selected to attend one of four Learn2 Camp programs in state parks around Missouri. We’ll supply the equipment and the expertise. You supply the family and an eagerness to discover nature.
Learn2 Camp Program Details
Missouri State Parks Provides:
- Camping equipment for use during the event
- Instructors to teach basic camping skills
- Campsite (includes picnic table, fire ring; access to showerhouse and restrooms)
- Recipes/list of food to bring
- Packing list (a list of what you should bring)
- Food for meals (we’ll supply a list and teach you how to cook it)
- Personal items (soap, toothbrush, etc.)
- A good attitude and willingness to learn
Things to Consider Before You Apply
- A free one-night stay camping coupon, good at any Missouri state park, will be given upon completion of the program.
- This is a family-oriented event. Alcohol and tobacco products are not allowed while participating in the Learn2 Camp Program.
- One of our goals is to reconnect children with nature. Please consider leaving your electronic games, laptops, computers or kid’s cell phones at home. (See childreninnature.mo.gov for more information on ways to connect your family with nature.
- Camping is an activity that can be enjoyed in all types of weather and this program will take place rain or shine. Staff will monitor the forecast to ensure campers are safe from severe weather. Camping can be more enjoyable in any weather if you plan ahead and wear appropriate clothing.
- A family group is considered up to six people, with at least one person 18 years of age or older. Please include adequate adult supervision for children to ensure the program can be educational and enjoyable for everyone.
This event will be held in a Missouri state park and all rules and regulations apply.
2014 Dates and Locations
|June 7-8||Onondaga Cave State Park, Leasburg (east central Missouri)|
|June 14-15||St. Francois State Park, Bonne Terre (St. Louis area)|
|June 21-22||Weston Bend State Park, Weston (north Kansas City area)|
|June 28-29||Long Branch State Park, Macon (north central Missouri)|
Application deadline is 5 p.m. May 11.
Winners will be notified by Thursday, May 15.